Monday, December 29, 2008

Me and Dr. Beck

People eat for various reasons and I know that some people are lucky enough to have a naturally thin genetic makeup. As you may have guessed, I'm not one of those people. I've been on many, many diets before. But, I've come to realize that losing isn't really the issue. I can lose weight without too much difficulty. It's the maintaining I have trouble with...it's making lasting changes and not picking up old habits. I realize that it's my mind and my way of the thinking that I need to change more than anything. After a bit of research and a recommendation from a friend I've picked up the following book and the companion workbook, The Beck Diet Solution. How this differs I think is that it's a cognitive approach to weight loss. It's a way to retrain my brain using the psychological approach of cognitive therapy. I'm in...I mean I've tried every other approach and when it comes down to it most of the reasons I eat have nothing to do with real physical hunger...it really is all in my head.
So, I'm starting this 6 week plan to train my brain to think like a thin person. At least that's what she says will happen. I've read the first 4 chapters in my workbook and I'm ready to begin. Unlike other books she doesn't have you jump right in. You spend the first two weeks mentally preparing yourself to make lifestyle changes. In the first week I will be working on creating a foundation for success. She has the week divided into daily task. She does say that you can go as fast or as slow as you need to...but you also need to complete each task. So today I'll be reviewing why I want to change my diet and lifestyle and committing to a diet plan. For me my eating plan came from the nutritionist I saw this summer. For others you might want to do a commercial plan such as Atkins or Weight Watchers, whatever works for you. Okay...so I'm off. I'm going to gym to do a spin class this morning and I will be sure to drink my water and journal my intake and activity. Let's get started!

No comments:

Post a Comment